Imagine this: you're finally out on your camping trip and enjoying the great outdoors. The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and the trees are whispering in the wind. But then you remember—you never packed your skincare! With just a little preparation, you can keep your skin looking and feeling great while you're roughing it in nature. Here are a few tips to help you out.
Products to AVOID
Camping is a great opportunity to disconnect from technology and spend time in nature. However, it's important to remember that the same skincare products that you use at home may not work as well in the wilderness. These are products we recommend leaving at home during your next camping adventure.
- Anything with fragrance: Check your products and confirm they are, in fact, “fragrance free”. Fragranced products can attract unwanted wildlife, and ultimately cause breakouts from the added stress of these wildlife encounters!
- Exfoliators: Exfoliators expedite your skin’s shedding process and strip away critical layers of skin. While this process is safe and even beneficial while at home, this can leave your skin vulnerable to sunburn when exposed to the elements for long periods of time.
- Products that increase sun sensitivity: Due to the increased sun exposure while camping, it’s important to avoid products that increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Check the usage and warning labels on your skincare products before bringing them along.
Keep it Simple
When you're roughing it in the great outdoors, the last thing you want to do is overpack. This includes your skincare products! That’s why it is important to remember to bring only the essentials. The most important items you can bring involve cleansing, moisturizing, sun protection, and sun repair.
- First and foremost, wash your face every morning with soap and water. This will help remove any dirt, sweat, or makeup that's accumulated overnight.
- Use sunscreen, and reapply it every two hours - especially if you're swimming or sweating.
- Pack a lip balm with SPF to protect your lips from the sun.
- Moisturize! A good face cream or body lotion will help keep your skin feeling soft and hydrated.
- And finally, bring an overnight leave-on mask to repair your skin from the sun exposure it experienced during the day.
Remember the Importance of Sun Protection and Repair
While camping and hiking, you’ll likely be exposed to more sun. The sun can be damaging, causing premature aging and an increased risk of skin cancer. To protect your skin, use a skincare routine that includes sunscreen during the day and repairing products at night. Look for sunscreens with an SPF of 30 or higher and apply them generously when starting your day. Be sure to reapply every two hours, or more often if you are sweating or swimming. At night, use a leave-on overnight mask to infuse moisture and repair your skin from the sun exposure during the day.
One of the best ways to enjoy camping is to make sure you’re taking care of your skin while you’re there. That means avoiding certain skincare products and keeping your routine simple. It also means remembering to protect your skin from the sun.
If you don’t have all of the essentials yet, we can help! Check out our website for some ideas on what to bring with you on your next camping trip.